Tuesday 22 February 2011

Ordinary man

















I'm not from the north
I'm not a woman
I'm not working class
I'm not black, I'm not gay
I'm not from any minority
I don't fancy pigeons
I'm not a pagan, or a wican –
I don't practice a religion
But, please – don't ignore me.
I'm not red, I'm not blue
I don't have a tattoo
I don't have a disability –
Apart from invisibility –
I'm an oppressed majority
My hair is fairly short
I don't like most sport
I cry quite easily
So please – don't ignore me.
I can't breathe fire, or juggle –
Usually, I'm no trouble –
I don't go after violent crooks
I return my library books
I know, I'm not on your list
The boxes aren't ticked
I'm a bit of a conformist
I'm not a priority
But please – don't ignore me.
I'm not a war hero. My net worth is zero
I don't have a cheesy smile
I can't run a four-minute mile
I don't wear a hat
Your values won't be under attack
Unless you're a paedophile
I'm not ancient, or a juvenile
I don't have silver cutlery
So please – don't ignore me.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

And so say I!
Wanted to forward this to a few people who would like it but can't see how to?

Kath

willh said...

This thing is so frigging complicated! Fraid I can't help you Kath, but there must be a way. What you need is a savvy teenager.

Unknown said...

What I have is 2 savvy grown up kids who would like your poem but will not be interested in finding it. If you posted the poem on face book I could easily share with them? Would like to do that.

Hope all is well?

Kath

willh said...

Hi Kath, funnily enough, I nearly always post my poems onto Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/william.a.hatchett

All is fine ta

W