Thursday 21 March 2013

Fire man - an elegy


In memory of my friend, David Hugo,
Artist 1958 - 2012

I wish that I could talk to you
By text, email or Skype
Or, even better, travel by time machine
To our early experiments
With electricity and fire –
Primitive circuit boards, gunpowder
Then amplifiers and guitars

You were a pyrotechnician
A fire imp, a bellows man
Conducting an art room rebellion
We were the boys who liked prog
Van der Graaf Generator, Camel
And the brutal blues of the Groundhogs
The first gig I ever went to
We looked for a nutmeg high
Or euphoria from banana skins
Smoked rolled up leaves on the playing fields
I recall your big house by the park
Your garden. The kiln we built there
Your suburban alchemy by fire

We were mock-Tudor revolutionaries
We snagged our grammar school blazers
On the barbed wire and left them for dead

I remember your theatre troupe
And your odd brown dungarees
You were at art school when I
Was shackled to a desk
And then, you were in London
A pioneering urban bohemian
With your canal-side studio –
A giant art room all of your own
A muse to the Corporate man
You were still playing, still blowing things up
You showed me your sculptures
Strange homespun contraptions
The chair you built for Iron Maiden
Armatures of coloured patterns
Blizzards of molecular repetition
Like the décor in your flat
And your weird collages of sound
I realised that you were a genius

Your highs were real now
You wore leather trousers
Though they did not suit you
That year, ’97, you took me a club
A dark chemical labyrinth where
Alienated by metronomic sound
I cowered in the ‘chill-out room’–
A hallucinating fairground
You had abandoned me
Why were you so angry?
Your life seemed perfect
Wasn’t your art enough?
MDMA was your new alchemy
Perhaps I was jealous
I had sensed something dangerous
In your pharmacological obsession
Your next frontier –
The chemistry of the brain
Your were not fazed by any element
But fire was burning you up
Finally, only one element
Would quench you, fearless one

Later, with the skill and delicacy
Of one of your intricate machines
You apologised for leaving me
I forgave you. You sent me a CD –
Gentle Giant and Hawkwind
You were a model maker now
Ideal for you – a new art room
We still had ‘issues’
You see, I had never liked Van der Graaf Generator
Focus were my favourite band
You said that they were ‘cocktail jazz’
We fell out, like two schoolboys
Now, we’ll never fall in
I’ll never hear from you again
I’ll miss you, fire man

No comments: