Friday 8 March 2013

My new kitchen



 














I watched grey flakes drift from the sky.
It came on the back of a big lorry.
I made the driver coffee – a Polish guy.
Three sugars, with no apology.

Your ghost was with me in B&Q.
Looking at finishes I could hear your voice
as I matched the surfaces –
teal and blue
steering me through each hopeless choice.
I have dreamed a room for us to occupy.
I know that the kitchen will look good
but I will hear your gentle mockery as I
feel the screws chew through the wood
level the cabinets, line up each tile
in a union that time cannot annul.

2 comments:

Herb said...

At first, I wonder why Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel are included in the photo. And then I realized that it’s JT’s sleek penthouse kitchen. Hehe! Your poem was great. I can relate with how you wanted to have a splendid kitchen like the one on the photo. Well, don’t worry. Soon, you’ll be able to have your own gorgeous kitchen. Who knows, yours might be more wonderful than this one. :)

Herb Koguchi

willh said...

The kitchen is actually very nice but I think that you missed that the poem is about aspiration - the possibility/impossibility of human relationships and the way that relationships, dreams and aesthetic choices are tied together ... presumably also for Justin and Jessica ...