Friday 13 June 2008

Life, weird innit

Wake up in my house (always a relief). Off work today. Going to Bristol. Listen to Bill Bailey on Desert Island Discs. Life affirming. Stumble downstairs for a cup of tea. Feed the cat.

Chapter Eight (extract)

On my second night in Coral's suite, there was a tap on the door. I was on my own, waiting for Coral to come back. It was Culadar. His brisk manner was matched by his linen suit and his striped tie. The bed was still pulled out. I had scarcely left it in the last two days. He glanced at it and gave a wry smile.
"I hope that you have been … comfortable."
"I have, thanks. Would you like a drink?"
“Yes, please.”
“Would you care for a gin and bitters?”
“That would be admirable.” He grinned with delight. "I see that Coral has been looking after you."
"Yes, she has."
He spoke to my back, as I prepared his drink.
"Austin, I have some news which may be unwelcome to you. It is time for you to leave the ship."
I protested.
"I know that you do not want to, but your work is done. You see, Coral has been released from her evil spell. When Ishmal boards the ship, in Ceylon, she will be able to pretend that she is still under his baleful influence. When the time is right, she will be able to pass on everything that he has found out, to the authorities."
"I see."
"Don’t worry. I will make sure that she is rescued, before Ishmal is able to harm her." He smiled. "Trust me."
I did not, entirely. I thought about what he had said.
"So, it was not Ishmal who knocked me out."
"No."
"Who was it then?"
"It was one of his men. He boarded the ship at Port Said, to act as a spy."
"What happened to him?"
He touched his throat with his hand and made a clicking sound.
"You killed him?"
He chuckled.
"Yes, just after he had rendered you unconscious and tied you up. Don’t worry, Austin. I gave him a burial at sea."
I thought, with annoyance, of the hours I had spent trussed up in the wardrobe.
"Why didn’t you rescue me?"
"Austin, a little adversity is good for the soul, don’t you think? I wished to test your powers of endurance and, also, to give you an opportunity to flex your psychic muscles. In any case, I dispatched Scaramouche to help you, did I not?"
"Eventually."
I realised that I was glaring at him. I rubbed my wrists.
"All’s well that ends well," he said. "Of course, Ishmal will wonder where his man has got to. But that will have to remain a mystery. He is not to know that a barracuda is feeding on the man’s flesh, is he?"
He gave a coarse, ugly laugh.
The thought of Coral and Ishmal lying together made me feel sick.
"I know that is not an ideal situation, Austin. Once again, I must ask you to suppress your personal feelings, for the sake of a higher purpose.’
"I don’t want to leave the ship," I said.
He looked serious.
"Well, I’m afraid that you have to. I have spoken to certain people and arrangements have been made. Just after midnight, the Oronsay will dock at the Port of Aden. Coral will be interviewed by an intelligence officer, who will board her there. You are to disembark. You are to be flown back to London from RAF Khormaksar."
It was odd thinking of London’s drab buildings and dreary skies.
"Is it really necessary?" I said.
"Yes. Ishmal may already have vouchsafed to Coral certain vital secrets. She is a patriot, just as you are. She does not want the West to be held to ransom by an Arab despot, any more than we do."
"I see." My resolve was beginning to weaken. "So," I added. "What is Ishmal up to?"
He looked evasive.
"I am not sure. I have certain suspicions but they have not been confirmed …" He glanced around the room with its unmade bed and strewn plates and glasses. "As you know, Austin, MI 6 are experts in interpreting intelligence. Let us just hope that their officer can tease out some salient facts when he talks to Coral."
"MI 6?" I said, "not MI 5."
"Yes, this is an international matter, with ramifications for the entire world. I have contacts at the Foreign Office who have been fully appraised of the situation, as does your friend, Captain Knight."
He fingered his MCC tie. It was hard to imagine him as a leading light in the stuffy world of the Marylebone Cricket Club. He had assured me that his name was on the membership list.

4 comments:

Tim said...

Thanks for the link in my birthday card, Will... and for the card... Reading this made me think about why we write diaries at all: even paper ones are made to be public, aren't they? I like the idea of viral marketing, too... and found much to recognise in the description of your visit to our father. We carried on a conversation with cheery but incoherent additions from two other residents...

willh said...

Hi Tim, yeh it's a bit distressing there. I think that dad is ticking off the days do being back at Franchise st. Great to hear from you. Do you have a blog?

love

Will

Tim said...

No, I do not but I can see the attraction. Someone else may stumble upon this! .... and that's the attraction. After all, we could exchange emails.

I can't believe K is about to be 18!! Must think about a present...

My other parents are not well, either. I took them for lunch Friday. We had a good time. Relationships with parents are complex, aren't they? We struggle not to reverse the relationship and treat them like our children as they become less independent. It is a good reminder to enjoy our relative health and vigour. And we are a typical 21st century family with complex emotions caused by too many parents! - can we have too many parents? - and some deep pain in the past which has affected us all but is a puzzle to decipher in the absence of real knowledge. Love to you all. Tim

willh said...

Sorry to hear about your parents Tim. Hope to see you before the summer out, if we have one. Kidderminster this weekend