Wednesday 3 August 2011

I show a prospective tenant around my house. It goes terribly wrong


















Walking through the estate, you were whistled at
Then he sucked his teeth at you, some bloke
Because you're blonde. I said, ‘you should wear a hat’
I live next to the estate. It's not bad. It was a joke

A joke! Women are abused daily. Don't you see!
I do see. I was born in ’58, before the schism
It put us on barricades, men like me
We conceded the ground – we were wrong – to feminism

The hat thing – it was just irony, but you
Saw the dust on the stairs, page three in the Sun
You re-built the barricade. You withdrew
Suddenly, I was Jeremy Clarkson

My humour was misplaced. It's fair enough
But now it's all lads' mags and fake tan
I just don't get it, the new stuff
Compared to that I'm a new man



No comments: