Wednesday 31 October 2012

I am not a cannibal ... but





To Tom


Before the rising of the sun
A package came from Amazon
He woke me from deep sleep that lad.
Was eating him really so bad?
He was … number one

It took me hours to get through
My boiler broke. What can you do?
The man they sent out was a dork
He tasted something like roast pork
He was … number two

I fell in love with that settee
It suited my flat perfectly
But five weeks is too long too wait
He paid the price for being late
He was … number three

Sunday morning. Knock on door
I’ve warned religious types before
He hinted at the fires below
My blood sugar was rather low
He was … number four

Without meat how can humans thrive?
It’s tasty and keeps us alive
Tesco forgot my weekly roast
From that moment their man was toast
He was … number five

I’m living somewhere in the sticks
I have few friends. I rarely mix
We talked a bit. I asked him in
Yes, it was probably a sin
He was … number six

Since I won't be going to heaven
I drove camper van to Devon
I saw him on a lonely path
Do I have to draw a graph?
He was … number seven

I had to fix my squeaky gate
But B&Q are second-rate
When I asked them what to do
That fellow didn't have a clue
He was ... number eight

I said ‘Deliver no more wine!’
Ignoring me they crossed the line
I braised him slowly on the bone
With a delightful Cotes du Rhone
He was … number nine

They keep sending these useless men
Excuse me, there’s the bell again!
A voice inside me says it’s wrong
But now I’ve wronged, I must go on
Here comes … number ten

No comments: