Tuesday 2 October 2012

Orpheus and Eurydice


 












I’ve just beaten up my sacred muse
I wouldn’t feel bad if I didn’t care
she’s wearing a headscarf over her bruise
I worship her. I think she knows that, yeh.
She took away her love, went cold on me
she said she don't like my rap
I’m not proud. I took her to A and E.
It wasn’t a punch, it was more of a slap.
They’re hard work them posh birds
she cussed me, but it’s no excuse
she's taught me some of her words
but she don’t like my rap, my blues.
Look at it this way, there’s no history
my muse she's an Orphic frigging mystery.

MANY were the minstrels who, in the early days, went through the world, telling to men the stories of the gods, telling of their wars and their births. Of all these minstrels none was so famous as Orpheus who had gone with the Argonauts; none could tell truer things about the gods, for he himself was half divine.
But a great grief came to Orpheus, a grief that stopped his singing and his playing upon the lyre. His young wife Eurydice was taken from him. One day, walking in the garden, she was bitten on the heel by a serpent, and straightway she went down to the world of the dead.
Then everything in this world was dark and bitter for the minstrel Orpheus; sleep would not come to him, and for him food had no taste. Then Orpheus said: “I will do that which no mortal has ever done before; I will do that which even the immortals might shrink from doing: I will go down into the world of the dead, and I will bring back to the living and to the light my bride Eurydice.”
Then Orpheus went on his way to the valley of Acherusia which goes down, down into the world of the dead. He would never have found his way to that valley if the trees had not shown him the way. For as he went along Orpheus played upon his lyre and sang, and the trees heard his song and they were moved by his grief, and with their arms and their heads they showed him the way to the deep, deep valley of Acherusia.
Down, down by winding paths through that deepest and most shadowy of all valleys Orpheus went. He came at last to the great gate that opens upon the world of the dead. And the silent guards who keep watch there for the rulers of the dead were affrighted when they saw a living being, and they would not let Orpheus approach the gate.

1 comment:

pnother said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.